Tuesday 6 February 2007

Eating my way round the state

As my work takes me all over the state, often at a moments notice, I find myself eating out at an eclectic assortment of restaurants, cafes etc most days.

Last night was no exception. With half an hours notice, I whizzed to Swansea, having missed lunch, and was FORCED to have dinner at Banc, which, if you've been keeping an eye on previous blogs, has been on my "to eat at" list for a few weeks.

The sacrifices I make in the name of foodie experiences! And boy was it a sacrifice! Selected 4 entrees, because after all's said & done, I am a female who dithers round a menu about what to have, obviously giving whoever I'm with, along with the waiting person the utter shits!

So - that made it very easy. Four entrees, served two at a time please?

We chose:
Entree No 1 - the Banc tasting platter which consisted of a "plonk" (technical term!!) of goats cheese with some assorted roasted red capsi, garlic etc; a small (finger length) venison snag, halved, cooked and served with home made chutney over it; 3 x 50 cent sized slices of tuna sashimi and 3 slices of beef sprinkled with sesame seeds & served on a bed of vermicelli noodles and some greens, which they had described as Thai Beef Salad, but it didn't resemble any interpretation of Thai Beef Salad I'd had before. This platter was definitely the lowlight of the night, sadly.
Entree No 2 - Squid - magnificent
Entree No 3 - Roasted belly pork - OK if you're a real pork lover. I'm not, but my eating partner was, so he raved about it.
Entree No 4 - Smoked duck breast - ohmigod! Let me die now cos that was SO damned yummy, and nothing else in this world will ever come near that for perfection of food!

So - there you have it! And that was just Monday night.

Tonight - it was off to the Republic for a catchup with two close friends with whom I have eaten out quite a lot lately, but haven't blogged about our meals, much to their disgust.

We had a great meal there too. To start with, an entree sized nachos to share - yeh, yeh, sounds boring, but some nights that's exactly what you feel like. For mains, 2 of us had the marinated and char grilled octopus, and, well, quite frankly, if I hadn't died as a result of last nights ecstacy with the smoked duck breast, well, I was wanting the immediate death tonight after the octopus. It was gorgeous!

So, combined with last weeks experience at the Maypole pub, which impressed me bigtime and stopped me in my tracks, I'm thinking I'll stop going to the supermarket altogether, and just go out constantly.
Posted on by Rita
4 comments

4 comments:

Food Kitty said...

I really like places that don't bat an eye when you want either 2 entrees or three entrees as your meal. I'm not being cheap (and sometimes the eye rolling seems to suggest that) I love grazing a menu, and always want a bit of room for a good cheese if one's on offer.
The Republic salmon dish is apparently v good - want to try it soon , but good octopus is hard to go past..

Anonymous said...

G'day Rita, Thanks for the link!
Keep on eating around this fair state!

Anonymous said...

What about the bloody (Republic) hamburger?? Didn't get a mention!!!Twas fantastic :)
FB

Anonymous said...

What about fish and chips deluxe at Seafood DeMayne at Snug.

Ripper stuff and friendly folk too.