Wednesday 18 April 2007

Waratah addendum

Far be it from me to cast aspersions on the Merc but todays "write-up" of the Waratah makes my review of a few weeks ago look dodgy, doesn't it?

Just please note the sub-heading of that full page, glowing, Dining Guide write-up, which reads "An advertising feature".

My regular readers will remember when I spoke about the Shamrock meal, I claimed that the reason their meals always seemed so consistently good was that I suspected that the chef was female, and that if you wanted a "soul" meal, you needed to have it cooked by a female. (I may well have been wrong about the Shamrock chef - I don't know who it is, or was at that time).

Well - Waratah's chef is female, which is why I felt so let down when we went there and received the average meals which we did. Blokes can do average if they want, but as a woman I'd prefer my sex to kick arse against the boys in the kitchen!

Sorry boys, but my bias should be noted here!
Posted on by Rita
10 comments

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait until you taste my roast Rita!!!! - are we still on for tonight??? For food that is is xoxoxo
AKA horny goat weed

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you're on to something Rita. On the basis of your blog I have written to Marque IV suggesting that they replace their current head chef with a female.

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought you to be sexist in the kitchen Rita. I prefer to think of kitchen as androgynous enclaves where to only question asked is can they cook?

Rita said...

Horny goat weed - don't be a tool!

Pedro - you're too late. I've already officially accepted Paul into the sisterhood.

hrv - I'm not at all sexist - just reckon (as a generalisation) that women can produce the tastier goods. Exceptions to that are numerous but if you compare your average Joe (bloke) with your average Jo-anna (woman), I think the chick triumphs (in the kitchen).

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....let's count the number of female head chefs in Hobart.


Food Nazi.

Rita said...

Great point Food Nazi - but let's extend that analogy to the world. How many women in positions of influence and power are there, compared to men? (That's assuming you are of the opinion that we are all equal.)

I know we could debate the man v woman thing till we die though so I'm taking this extremely flippantly.

To get back to your point, you're totally correct. How many female Head Chefs ARE there in Hobart? Why are there so few?

Anonymous said...

Not just Hobart Rita, anywhere!

Cannot resist telling you that a couple of years back in London Christine Manfield won a major UK award for best new restaureant or some such. The article I read conveyed the absolute anger felt by many in the local scene (read: London Laddish Chefs)that not only did an Antipodean win but a bloody woman !

This says a great deal about their (and ours unfortunately)attitudes & at a time when we are congratulating ourselves on how gender issues are no longer an issue.

I hope for the sake of my daughters that they get a fair go at whatever they choose to do

Food Kitty said...

I'm glad you called horny goat weed a tool Rita, I did feel rather queasy in my tummy at his comment, a bit like watching fairly explicit film sex with your mum?

Whitey said...

Just because the review is part of an advertisement doesn't mean it isn't true.

Think of the wonderful businesses in the Radar Promotions ads - Cosy Cabins etc (can't remember any restaurants at the moment). I always follow Radar's recommendations.

Rita said...

Whitey - you're absolutely right, and I'm so glad you pointed that out. I had totally overlooked the Radar Promotions ads on tele, and how effective they are.

I hereby take back all I said about the advert and look forward to seeing soon a Waratah Pub ad on tele handled, with incredible sartorial elegance, by Radar himself.

That'll have 'em lining up in Murray Street!