Wednesday 1 August 2007

Christmas Day - to cook, or not to cook, that is the question..

Yes - the age old question as originally posed by the Bard himself!

In my last post, the 13th Comment was from Christina, asking us all for our opinions on where she and the family should go for their Christmas Lunch dining out experience this year.

I suppose, like the rest of us, Christina has slaved away over the stove, year after year, on Xmas Day in an effort to achieve the almost impossible - make everyone happy!

As it is the first of August today, I find the contemplation of Xmas Day planning to be highly recommended.

It is my view that as of today, the countdown is now on for Christmas. If you are related to me, please don't hit me with that pathetic excuse the week before Xmas that you can't afford a present and can you give me an IOU.

Bloody Christmas Day is on everyones calendars, in plain black and white, right there on December 25th for all to see and plan for. There is absolutely no excuse for anyone not being in a position to enjoy a perfectly planned and executed Christmas.

So - it's about now that all us perfectionists start with the Xmas nagging, buying up at Sales and investigating ways we can produce yet another meal on that day of days which might possibly have a slightly different slant to the previous ones. We think to ourselves "Maybe we could try a cold one this year and do the Seafood Spectacular? Then I wouldn't have to cook most of the day!" Maybe it's your turn to go to Grannys or Mum-in-laws this year?

Whatever! Usually there is one year when you (as Mum) put your foot down & swear that this year you're going to ease up, give someone else the responsibility for the food buying, the prep, the meal and the cleaning up.

That's all well and good until you do your sums. As Christina has pointed out, it'll be around $300 for her immediate family of 5. You think of all the things you could have bought for your Xmas dinner for $300 worth of value at home! You think of how you have to wait for the waiter to take your order on that hot and sticky Xmas Day at the restaurant. How you'll have to wait ages for that much needed drink! How the kids start fighting at the table and embarrassing you in public!
How the meal is never what you had pictured in your head! How you're NEVER going to do this again, and waste all that hard-earned money!

And that's when you revert to Plan A. You cooking the Xmas Dinner! You just KNOW no one can do it better than you.

But - Christina - you must experience it for yourself. Life is for these very occasions! In 20 years time when the kids have all left home, they'll tell and re-tell the story of the year you all went out for Xmas Dinner and the waiter forgot Mums order.

Whichever restaurant you decide to go to, have a great time. Spend up big and try not to worry about it. Enjoy the feeling of not having to do it all; of handing the responsibility over to others. It's part of your own growing up process.

The anticipation of the upcoming Xmas starts now. I love Christmas, and planning for it. Ask my ex-husband. I called him this morning to ask him what we were doing for Xmas! Luckily he knows me well by now, and he just laughs at me. I'm glad you and I are on the same wavelength Christina!

Happy Xmas planning!
Posted on by Rita
10 comments

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Rita. Last year I did an Asian chicken thing with all the accompaniments.
I even made the dessert the night before. It involved crushing walkers shortbread and mixing this with extra butter, lining a big tray with that, then on with a layer of toffee, then a layer of Valhalla vanilla ice cream and dotted with rasperries and extra cream before serving.
Of all seven presnt only two of us got into that dessert, a couple of other picked at it being ``not pudding persons''.
The huge thing went back into the freezer and I ate most of it myself over the next week.
This year, no way am I spending Xmas Eve slaving. I'll be snacking and having a glass of something alcoholic.
Xmas day I plan to be OUT with the missus. Or in with takeaway bought from Dom's Asian Teahouse the night before.
Sir Grumpy

Anonymous said...

Christmas is about one thing and one thing only. Think about that person.

Anonymous said...

Closed Christmas eve, Christmas day, Boxing day. Spending some well earned family time.
The lead in to Christmas, company parties, societies, groups etc. Busy, busy, busy.
But I still cook for my immediate and extended family, friends etc. and I do not mind one bit. Its what I do, what I was brought up to do. My family and friends have come to mean more to me over the years and the opportunity to be in a room with all the people who I love, reminds me of the essence of Christmas. My Mum is here this year, and I am becoming more aware that we will be spending fewer christmas dinners together than we have had. She still makes the greatest roast potatoes on planet earth.
Love you Mum.

Rita said...

Sir G - shame on all your recipients! That dessert sounds like my cup of tea! And takeaway from Doms sounds like the perfect solution to the cooking thing.

Anon 10.25 - as the ad on tele says - would that one person it's all about be ME? "it's all about me" says the ad!
I hope that sentence was uttered tongue in cheek. If not - GET REAL!

Cartouche - sounds like your traditional family Xmas at your place this year. Perfect.

Much as I take the piss in my post, I myself really love doing the Xmas meal, and like you, it's just 'what I do'. My kids claim I too do the best roast potatoes in the world, and that no one can make them like Mum, and that's a crown I wear proudly, because the art has taken many years to perfect.

With them all now being adults, and having homes and families of their own, it's still nice to have the opportunity to do the old 'Mum' thing occasionally. Xmas is sometimes one of those times!

Over my many years in hospitality, I always worked Xmas Day. I actually have to confess to never having eaten out on Xmas Day, except if you count the staff Xmas lunch at work, eating leftovers!

Anonymous said...

Rita I love Christmas lunch. I am a boring devotee of the simple & unfussed.

We ALWAYS have:

Seafood starter( We are Aussies after all!)

Roast(sadly Colonial but still scrummy)

Pud(Last days of the Raj revisited)
+ special dessert( One for the Republic!)

Loadsa xlnt Bev( A penchant for Sparkling Burgundy, crisp Ales, Woody Chard's & Nth. Victorian Fortifieds)

+ Nap in the hammock (inspired fabbo Chrissie pressie reading 'How to be Idle'!) = another year gone!

Anonymous said...

I hope i'm invited to Christmas at your place Rita?? Get to check out the new kitchen in practice baby:)

Anonymous said...

On my scouting around for a Christmas meal target I went down past Grandvewe today Rita.
Didn't have time to actually eat but it is looking good for a visit in the next two weeks.
By the way, people say the Oyster Cove Hotel is in a bad way.
A pal said the locals have even placed a rickety ping-pong table in the front bar to sit around.
Apparently it has gone downhill fast.
Greg James just lets it out...surely he hasn't visited it recently, he wouldn't allow this.
Sir Grumpy

Anonymous said...

Hi Rita, great blog! I have the situation this year that our christmas lunch has out grown the home cooked meal, we have guests in town for a wedding in early jan, and will have around 25 people for lunch this year, compare to the usual 10-12. Does anyone out there have any suggestions / recomendations for a place to go out for Xmas lunch. Of course theres wrest point, grand chancellor etc, but want to stay well clear of feeding the masses on a bland menu... Ive heard people try Hilltop (average and $75pp) and one at richmond a couple of years ago that very average... Was looking into the wineries which would have been a great setting and good size(ie Moorilla, Home Hill, Meadowbank) but they all seem closed up on Xmas Day which is a real shame... so im running short on ideas! likely to pay $80-$100 per head, but what and where remains the question... hope someone out there has a reccomendation from theirs or others experience. Thanks all!

Anonymous said...

MUM i've read ur blog!! & YES i'll start saving/buying gifts early this year so u don't get an IOU again! AND it's true MY MUM MAKE THE BEST DAMN ROAST POTATOS EVER.....love ya!!

Anonymous said...

Hi to all,
Just thought I'd let you know we finally decided on Customs for lunch on Christmas day. The menu sounds great. 3 courses for $55.00. Quite reasonable I think. Hope I don't live to regret our decision. Fear of the unknown I suppose, having not been to Customs for a meal before.
Entrees are Caesar salad, selection of dips or Roast pumpkin & Sweet potato soup. Pork, turkey or fish for mains and plum pudding, sorbet or cheese plate for dessert. Much fancier on the menu I was sent than I have described, but if it tastes as good as it reads, it should be wonderful.