Thursday 6 December 2007

Thoughts on eating

Doing the research and homework for my upcoming website (which I intend having up and running next week, in some form!) has lead me into many unexpected corners, unearthing some really interesting facts and knowledge, and gossip.

But the main thing it has highlighted for me is that there is this huge undercurrent amongst all people who have an underlying interest in, and passion for, food. Once started on their subject of choice (food and its associated products), you'll have a nearly impossible time stopping them!

And that's fabulous! It's like my lunch with Gobbler. We sat down to have a chat over lunch - and hey presto! Where the hell did that 5 hours go? We now speak regularly on the phone, prefacing the conversation with "Just a quick question...." Ten or twenty minutes later we have to hang up each other to get on with life. Food and eating cover such a range of subjects that if you are the slightest bit concerned or interested, once started, you're off! You've got your own individual 'take' on it, and you just can't shut up!

Hence these blogsites and their commenters. I suspected I might get fed up with blogging after a while, and run out of subject matter for the content of this blogsite. Nope! I see and hear things daily which I think would make a great topic for discussion here.

And the scary thing is that I'm SO not alone in this! People you come across every day you'll suddenly find are quite vocal and firm about their food likes and dislikes.

At my dentists the other day, discussing when to book me in for the dreaded wisdom tooth extraction, she kindly said she'd do it on 3rd Jan so I could enjoy my Christmas feasting, which lead to general food chat, then her providing me with her listing of favourite Hobart restaurants (starting with Marque IV!) and why. Whereas previously we have had absolutely no exchange of words other than the odd grunt (from me!) in response to her questions posed to me while my mouth was full of assorted metalware, drills and the like, we were off and running in our food chat! I apologise to the next patient who I passed on my way out, sitting nervously in the next room waiting in trepidation!

I know you all will know exactly what I'm talking about here. It's a very level playing field out there when it comes to food and the trappings. Let no one tell you any different. If you care, then you're as knowledgeable as anyone else on the subject. Because it involves your own palate and what you like to eat, and the best method to get it into you.

Just because I might publish a best selling cookbook or two, or write on a food blog or endorse many food products doesn't mean I can claim the crown as world authority on YOUR tummy and enjoyment levels of what goes into it. I might provide you with some suggestions, but ultimately we are all responsible for our own eating and survival each day. The standard at which we're prepared to do this is what concerns us 'foodies' (for want of a better descriptor).

So - eaters of the world unite! Live well, eat well, eat regionally, eat healthily, but whatever - enjoy it!
Posted on by Rita
6 comments

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The big food concern right now Rita is Christmas.
I was determined to eat out or order in and am still of that mind.
It's paradoxical that someone who loves grubm and all it entails is jaundicedat the thoughtof the Xmas dinner.
But I've thunk about it and it's because there is so much else going on. Not being churchgoers, it's a pagan ritual around us...with lots of prezzie giving etc.
This means the place being trashed by wrapping paper and prezzies and the boxes they came from.
Doggy Xmas stocking even for the beasties around the family and one for the puddytat.
There's boozing and snacking going on, with cakes, shortbread, nuts, choccy, turkish delight..
New CDs being played and hopefully some of that channel nougat I haven't tried yet.
So amid the chaos, the last thing we now want is a gigantic turkey meal with roast spuds etc, then trifle and cheeses and crackers.
There hasto be an easier way than to be left with a mountain of cleaning up and all that work cramping your xmas pleasure.
What to do?
Cheers, Sir Grumpy.

Anonymous said...

Why noy go out for lunch? Let some one else do it? This will give you a deadline to have all the detritus removed & a clean place (with no dishes) to come home to?
Nice post by the way Rita!

Rita said...

Sir G - I might be thick but not sure what you're getting at?
Do you mean you WANT to eat out on Xmas Day but don't? And that instead you usually have the trad turkey etc, but that you'd rather go out and not have the hassle?
If so, Gobblers right - why not just go out? Or are you inferring that there's nowhere a true gourmand like yourself CAN go to get a decent feed other than at home, so that's why you're forced to stay home on Xmas Day and eat your own food?

Thanks Gobbler! BTW - reliable word has it that despite your hassling the crap out of ME to check out Farm Gate, you yourself haven't actually eaten there yet!! I'll meet you there for one of his (apparently) superb brekkies soon?

Anonymous said...

Not sure Sir G but I am guessing that you are somewhere in the Kingston Blackmans Bay neck of the woods.

My sister in law tells me that she has booked Christmas dinner, and invited the rest of us.

menu is :

Peppered Duck soup

Froi Grois fennel & polenta bread

Truffled asparagus and quails egg over pumpkin toast.

Duck & lemon fig with vegetables

Lamb & red wine reduction

Beef wellington

Soft chocolate pudding & creme Anglaise

Creme Brulee

Cheese and biscuits

She waffles on about bon bons on arrival.

I am not going, I have other plans, but I can find out for you if you like, oh by the way its $50 a head, sounds bloody cheap to me. Caveat emptor???

Rita said...

You're kidding me, Cartouche! $50 for that sumptuous sounding menu? WTF? Whether we go or not - you MUST reveal this place! (If it's Hungry Jacks, methinks I smell something slightly dodgey!)

Tassiegal said...

I'm off to Montys on Montpelier with my parents Sir G. Their menu looks scrummy and it continues a family tradition of eating out since since 1982 - the year of the dodgy stove and mum my not wanting to cook for my nanna.