Thursday 14 February 2008

Venus

Ate today at Venus. The Pumpkin, pea and tallegio risotto balls I had for lunch were beautiful. The accompanying garlic mayonnaise was way too garlicky when I dipped my finger in it, so I left it. The predominant flavour throughout was of the taleggio, which I particularly love, so that worked well for me. Others might not enjoy such a strong flavour, but I was more than fine with it. The rice was perfectly cooked; the flavours all mingled well.

It was priced at $8, which I consider a steal for lunch. I got 3 balls, each one the size of a baby's fist, which was more than enough for my lunch. I ended up donating one to my lunch companion as a result.

The surroundings in the cafe are inspirational as well. If you're a shopaholic, definitely don't venture in the door! It's a tasteful cafe, combined with florist in another section, then gift shop also separate from the other two areas - all stocked with beautiful-looking stock. Don't say I didn't warn you! Last time I ventured there (with Gobbler), it ended up costing me $90, and I didn't even pay for lunch! Venus is a fine lunch venue, and despite any publicity to the contrary, I recommend it as a place of fine lunch time dining on the Eastern shore.
Posted on by Rita
6 comments

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How were they doing Rita. I thought their recent troubles would hurt, it seemed like just a bit of bad luck. I don't like to see anyone suffering.

Rita said...

They were doing fine Sir G. It was good to see many people popping in for lunch or just a coffee and muffin. At the next table were Vanessa Goodwin and Tony Mulder, so I feel that added a positive message to one and all. They are to be congratulated for supporting the venue.

I too thought all the negative publicity would hurt them badly, in fact I half expected to see the place closed down when we arrived, but, no. It was business as usual.

I agree with you about not wanting to see anyone suffering, and that was one of my reasons for selecting that particular eatery.

Anonymous said...

where is this place i haven't heard of it

Rita said...

Hi Anon 12.43 - It's at Cambridge Rd, Rosny Park. Across the bridge, head towards Eastlands, keep going past the turn-off to E'lands till you get to the roundabout, and turn left at the roundabout. It's right next to the Baby shop, and you can park right outside or keep driving to the next set of lights, turn left then left again, and get parking in the large parking lot behind.

Anonymous said...

Good one Rita. You did well.

Cheers

Curly

Anonymous said...

Hmmm within a few months their prices seem to have doubled and the quality dropped. I went there for the first time and ordered salmon balls with warm sweet potato salad for $16 - which seemed to be about the average price for a meal from memory.
The salmon balls were bland and the warm salad was cold - straight from the fridge cold. Not a good temperature for big hunks of sweet potato... The coffee was really weak too unfortunately.