Sunday 16 March 2008

Channel doings

Utilising Gobbler's Huon and Channel supplier list (my new bible) today, I took a trip down the Channel and bought my supplies for the week. Being the Girl Guide that I am, I also had the forethought to have called Travis at Seafood de Mayne on Friday and order a Crab to be cooked for pickup today as well.

I'm about to hoe into the crab for late lunch, so as I expect it to be bloody lovely, that's all I'll say on the subject of crab, for the time being.

But I decided to pop into Farm Gate Cafe while in the neighbourhood and check on Lee. I'm glad I did because he updated me on what he is currently up to, which I'm pleased to be able to relate here.

For a start, after a life reality check, he decided to put his farm on the market and move somewhere a bit more spacious and palatial for his piggies. That should stop all the argy-bargy in the dispute with his neighbours about his pig's smells, and hopefully relieve the Kingborough Council of one less headache! He'll move elsewhere down in that area - and a good thing too, because he tells me that some of the more high profile chefs from the big island to the north are starting to jump on the bandwagon and want his (obviously) famous product as well - like Tets and Neil Perry.

If those guys are looking at using his product, he's crazy to restrict himself to a small patch of trouble. Smart move, Lee.

But - trade has quietened down in the cafe side of the business. Why is that? It seems to me that's the way it is here in Tassie. You have the big initial flurry of everyone coming along to a newly opened establishment, and the restaurant owners get all excited and see dollar signs flashing in front of their eyes, then a few months down the track, all is calm again, and they have trouble attracting the punters. Lee seems to be putting it down to the current financial climate, but I've seen it happen time and time again over the years.

We need to get into a few habits here, if we're serious about wanting to have all these great eateries at our beck and call.

We need to learn how to book - ALWAYS. We need to amend or cancel the booking if our plans change. We need to go out for the weekend drive - TO EAT A MEAL! Not just for a coffee and cake. If we want these places to exist we must take it on ourselves to patronise them.

Lee has started holding cooking/butchering classes down at the cafe. He held one a few weeks ago which was fully subscribed, and will be soon conducting a sausage making one. A brilliant idea, and one which should interest many of us.

I'll tell you about his upcoming events soon, so keep an eye out for them, and in the meantime, please go for a drive, and eat at one of our 'locals' places or they'll be quietly disappearing off the map. I know of one such business currently trading but soon not to be, and I'm so sad about it. I'm not able to say which at the moment, but it pains me when this happens.
Posted on by Rita
7 comments

7 comments:

Tassiegal said...

I hope its note divinage!!!

Anonymous said...

I feel awful after after reading that blog Rita,
We deliberately took a drive down there yesterday TO EAT A MEAL.
We were going to go to Farmgate and try our luck, as we hadn't booked, and I've been dying to go back for lunch, instead because the weather was too wonderful we ended up at Peppermint Bay.
It was pretty great, sitting in the sunshine, enjoying a platter and salad. Now I feel like we should have gone to Lee's. I'd hate for him to close. So we've now promised to get back down there asap.
I'm with Tassiegal too. Any place is a shame to lose, but Divinge would be terrible.

Rita said...

Hi girls - not wanting to play cat & mouse but it's neither Divinge or Farm Gate - but it COULD be in a years time if we don't pull our proverbial fingers out!
Christina, you're right, it WAS a fabulous day yesterday. especially for a trip into the country, and I'm glad you ate at PB because you're absolutely correct and it IS gorgeous there on a beautiful day like yesterday.
But please go back to Lee's, and Divinge, and the rest of the many businesses down the Channel. We need to vote with our feet and wallets!

Tassiegal said...

I have a mate coming over for Easter, I might take her "driving" on Sunday to Divinage.

Anonymous said...

I too am going to divinge or divinage on the weekend sounds too good to be true

beachsands said...

Anon Divinge is the perfect country restaurant. So rare. I'm with you Rita...what is so difficult about booking or letting the restaurant know that we are late, have five fewer or extras. While I love my friends, I get antsy with maybe we will, maybe we won't. It is $$$ for these places that we love.

Anonymous said...

God I would LOVE to get a decent meal when out for the day but how many times have I tried to do that and been told 'sorry we are only doing coffee and cake'
When I'm out for the day I'm not always going to be able to front up at a restaurant or cafe within their narrowly defined meal times! And even worse, this happens in the middle of Hobart too.