Sunday 2 March 2008

Mummalukas


I weighed myself on Friday - and was horrified! Why oh why did I start a blog which reviews restaurants? Why not blog about flowers, or something harmless like that?

Oh well - I'll be a long time dead, so might as well enjoy all life has to offer now!

Pictured above is last night's offering from Mummalukas to Rita. It is a Rump Steak, marinated (so the menu claimed) in their own herbs, sauces and spices, and cooked on the char grill. Served with chips and salad. From memory it was priced round $24.

It was OK. By that I mean it was totally fine but not stand-out. I enjoyed it. It filled the bill. But it wasn't extraordinary, or out-of-the-box.

The service was fabulous. I'm adding our waitperson Naomi to my list of outstanding customer service 'performers' because she was fantastic. She had a tough table to satisfy (there were four of us), and she excelled in turning round the 'vibe' at the table.

It's a funny place there. As I scanned the room interestedly, it appeared to be an assorted crowd dining there last night. Family groups, people en route to a night of (heavier) drinking and assorted delights known only to the young, oldies like at my table, friends having a quiet meal out. I heard that Craig Godfrey (owner) has it on the market for a few million. It would be really hard work running a restaurant like that one. I went there when it first opened, and have returned intermittently since. I wouldn't call it a favourite place by any means, but it has a certain air which sets it apart from other places.

But if anyone is thinking of buying it, I recommend adding another Ladies loo. For such a large restaurant to only have one toilet is ridiculous!
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plates have edges for a reason

Rita said...

Are you looking at the food coming over the edges, Anon?
I noticed most meals came out of the kitchen there like that.

Anonymous said...

Not one of my favourite places Rita. After my last meal there in late December I've actually gotten Hubby to remind me that I'm not that keen if it's ever suggested we go there again.
Love the atmosphere, service is always great, so I've come to the conclusion their meals aren't to my taste.
I've probably eaten there about 5 times in all since it opened. Nothing too wrong, just nothing memorable either. A little overpriced in my opinion. Also too many other great places to spend my hard earned cash.

Anonymous said...

P.S.
Had breakfast with the delightful Nathan this morning. We shared poached eggs, caramelized onions and spinach on sour dough, and a panini with tomato, avocado, bacon and scrambled eggs. I love eating with Hubby as he's so great at sharing.
Nathan was his usual lovely self. We've purchased from there many times, but this was our first dining in experience.
Not bad at all. Fantastic coffees. Friendly staff. Good value.

Anonymous said...

hey Rita get those walking shoes out sounds like you have to get rid of a few unwanted kgs now that you have had a week of eating out.We tried that old but new place in Franklin, Huons little treasure. Interesting place I had spring rolls nice flavour but served with some wilting lettuce.Hubby had fish and chips(yes I know fish and chips but thats what he felt like) Again ok but VERY ordinary salad and chips overdone. The service was good though and I believe they have a bit more extensive menu at night hopefully with some fresh lettuce perhaps.

Anonymous said...

Yes, tonight i had Maccas and it was fantastic.


Mr Silly

Tassiegal said...

Been twice - not my fav place - it tends to be a bit "greasy" for me.

Anonymous said...

Beware! 12:14 looks like another of those iternet buggers!

Rita said...

Thanks Christina. I will delete NOW

Anonymous said...

Here I go again. You know me and food fairs and ethnic stuff!
Had a great time at Estia on Sunday. Loved the octopus and ouzo. A plate of nicely cooked battered blue eye sans chips for $8.50 - amid reports that this fish is now up to $30 a kilo!- then Loukoumades - yum!
Gearing up for Taste of the Huon at Ranelagh on Monday next.
Cheers

Rita said...

Might see you down there Anon2!