Thursday 3 July 2008

Mosh Café soft opening today

The café, named Mosh Cafe by the Café Studies students at Guilford Young College (GYC), had its ‘soft opening’ today, with invited family and friends attending. Rita was amongst the lucky invited customers.

The café is one of the many Young Achievement Australia (YAA) businesses run within schools and colleges round Australia.

The idea is that any school or college think up a do-able and viable business which some students are interested in participating in, hands-on, and which will make money. The students learn the intricacies of writing a Business Plan; naming and registering the business; establishing the business’ bank account and learning about what is involved in financial transactions relevant to businesses; marketing their business; team work, as they get the business planned and started; selling shares in the business to family and friends; running their weekly board meeting, and the list goes on.

Normally, food-related ventures are not encouraged, but as GYC already had the construction of a commercial kitchen onsite underway, this café venture was permitted, so the students have been working their butts off, training to run all aspects of their café, from front of house, to kitchen, to administration.

All 16 students in the class have varying degrees of enthusiasm, talent and skills. Rita was invited, at the outset, to mentor the class, so has attended their class every week for the past 4 months.

The culmination was todays ‘soft opening’. Rita was so tense, and itching to jump up and help out, but that would defeat the whole purpose of it being a training exercise for these up and coming young entrepreneurs, so she sat very firmly on her hands and watched intently as they went about their business.

They kicked arse! I was so proud of them. I know I‘m not their mum, but I felt today like all 16 of my kids were being put through their paces.

Naturally there were many glitches, but they were minor in the scheme of things. Overall these kids did SO well.

The café will open every Thursday lunch time, for the students and their families, if they want to come along. It will be wound up in October, and all will then be deconstructed.

The nett result will be a group of young people extremely well versed in most aspects of business, and specifically hospitality. They should have the right attitude for work in the industry, and be well aware of the reasons why we do many of the things we do in hospitality. They will be aware of customer service. They are already looking at restaurants and cafes they go to through totally different eyes.

Last weekend, their teacher Aaron took them to Melbourne. They lunched at Fifteen (the Jamie Oliver restaurant), they dinnered at Vue de Monde. They experienced many sights that many of us will never get round to experiencing. They had a wow of a time. That’s what I call a REAL Café Studies class!

These are young people anyone should be proud to have on staff. I would employ any of them.
Posted on by Rita
21 comments

21 comments:

Tassiegal said...

YAA are are great venture. My old high school in Brisbane has been involved for years. That and Tournement of the Minds were both GREAT fun.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to all the students & staff & may their Maiden Voyage be a succesful one.

Rita said...

Thanks Gobbler, on behalf of the students.
TG - glad there are people round who are familiar with the YAA concept. I think it's ideal particularly for young people today, as they are way more entrepreneurial than previous generations. The world is their oyster, so they should be as well equipped as possible to capitalise.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Rita... had goose bumps just reading your blog...

LT

Rita said...

Thanks LT, and thank you also for recommending me as their mentor! It has been as big a learning curve for me, as starting up the cafe has been for them!

Anonymous said...

Off the subject.
I just heard from a mate that Peppermint Bay had been sold to an ex Tassie cricketer. Is it just a rumour?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, months ago. PB and Hobart Cruises

Anonymous said...

Went to Red Velvet Lounge, Rita with the missus.
Food was very good, shame about the service!
It always amazes me that newcomers to a place are never ``welcomed'' and asked if they've been before, how things work with menu and blackboard specials, etc.
We stood a full five minutes, looking like lost steers, which seemd a long time, before the waitress, wrestling with an infernal coffee machine, greeted us and seated us with menus.
There were two waitresses on. Smaller and taller.
Smaller was perky, bright and welcoming, taller never even ventured near our table.
I got the koftas and the missus the carbonara. We both had a drink, wine and beer.
Now the food was spot on. Bok's bacon in the carbonara and plenty of it too.
I will say the dish looked a bit anaemic. A big white plate with creamy pasta. I think it neede two or three triangles of toast or mayble a rocket leaf or three around the rim.
My koftas were beyond reproach.
Now, I facied trying the desserts, but no chance. After sitting for a long time with empty dishes, I sauntered up to the pudding cabinet.
A great-looking apple tart and a funky looking cake with a purply top beckoned.
Taller didn't take the hint, so I went back to my seat. She cleared the table next to us, never cleared a thing from our table and never asked if we wanted anything else. Not even tea, coffee, another drink.
I went back up to the cabinet but no luck again.
Me and the missus decided to cut our losses and go.
We would have loved to spend twice as much bu never got the chance.
We did buy a loaf of bread, which made great toast the next morning.
The main hurdle seemed to be the bloody coffee machine, At one stage both women were feeding this monster and it seemed to take an age for it to deliver.
It wasn't all that busy when we called in...we were there in that twilight zone between lunch and dinner.
So, nice feed, NO service. I've sweated over whether to [post this, because I so want this place to succeed (and I'm sure it will). I felt like a traitor to a certain blogger with my thoughts but hope this is taken in a spirit of a glitch that needs fixing.
We'll be back and we agree the carbonara was the best ever and the koftas terrific.
But give us the chance to spend, spend, spend RVL.

Rita said...

Sir G - I am SO sorry you had a poor customer service experience there. I'm sure your issues will be taken on board by those who care, and dealt with, and I really do hope that you return soon. That gnocchi dish was THE most exquisite dish I had tasted for ages, and I can't wait to get back there for some! I usually find gnocchi a bit too heavy, but this one was sublime. The sauce combined with the actual gnocchi complemented each other so well.

Anon 3.28 - you better catch up here! Did you also know that Oyster Cove Inn finally sold, and is now setting up under new owner?

Anonymous said...

Sorry Rita, off the subject.
Hi Sir G & thanks for coming.
I'm sorry that the service wasn't up to parr. I am endeavouring to adress this & a few other service issues as we speak.
I am happy that you enjoyed the food & the bread, a part of the way to have you both back agreeably I hope.
Finally I am glad that you said something about your experience, pos or neg that I can perhaps address, the positive benefits of the bogasphere I hope!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Steve, the food was great and we've always loved this spot.
I nearly had the Little Creatures Pale buty went for something just as delicious.
(PS, Sorry Rita if this is off-post I wanted you to see it and Steve C, too).
RVL is looking good and the tables and chairs much better than years ago. Nearly had the pie but had a big mash dinner the night before, so went exotic with koftas.
Noticed a few people at the kitchen serving hatch obviously saying hello and wishing you well.
We do too but I like to stay anonymous. we will be back and I will be having pud!

Anonymous said...

the theme seems to be off post so I thought I would contribute:

had an absolutely fabulous lunch at Venus on Friday. Really quite divine. Three girlfriends catching up over fine food and wine really cant be beaten!

I had warm duck salad with muscatels, orange, pine nuts and radiccio. Like I said. divine. Perfect.

One friend had the salmon frittata, who by her own admission is particularly fussy but practically licked the plate clean.

My other friend had the chicken pie. Also licked clean.

Even the waiter commented on how empty our plates were!

It was a really lovely atmosphere, buzzing and friendy.

LT

Anonymous said...

Hey I know its off topic but I just heard that Scott Butler has left the 4 Lunch Building!
What was he doing there anyway? Kinda slumming it me thinks!

Anonymous said...

going home ?

CR

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't know either from a bar of chocolate, anon.
Why so quick with conspiracy theories!

Anonymous said...

dined at Kuzina last night (tuesday) and have to say the food and service was wonderful, and so affordable.

I probably didnt pick the right meal for me on the night, but it was excellent nevertheless - just wrong frame of mind. I ordered navarian of lamb with fried lemon cous cous and cucumber and chilli salsa. Having just been to the gym, I probably really wanted something less rich and lighter and fresher. As such I suffered meal envy of all three of my commrades! duck, chicken and fish!

The only drawback was the fact that there were only three tables for the night. As such the atmosphere was dead and it felt cold in the restaurant. I am not sure if this is a symptom of it being a Tuesday night, winter or the rise in interest rates and subsequent budget cuts. However, when I walked past the Royal Thai around 830 on my way home, there were only about 6 tables in there.

I would recommend to anyone to support Kuzina, not just because it is a training restaurant but because of great food and service.

LT

Anonymous said...

Maybe if they put more tables in these joints more people would rock up. I hate standing.
Sorry, LT, cuddint elp meself.

Anonymous said...

fair call! (cheeky bugger!)

LT

Anonymous said...

Lamb with fried lemon cous cous and chilli salsa sounds great, LT.
Could do with some of that tonight. Have you tried this place/dish Rita?

Rita said...

Haven't been there yet Sir G - wanna be my partner for that visit?
It's on my list of 'to go to's', and I really want to get there.

I suppose, as usual, you'll knock me back, so I'll have to find another eating partner!

Anonymous said...

I am a man of infinite anonymity, Rita.
Well suited to me, my detractors may say.
But I am flattered you'd consider me!