Tuesday 16 September 2008

Mediocrity at Mai Ake


Rita has achieved a first. I ate at Mai Ake last Friday night, with the full intention of writing about it the minute I got home. I didn't. I returned there again tonight, to verify my lukewarm opinion from Friday night. Nope. Still the same. For me it's a mediocre Thai restaurant, with not very good service and average food.

I went there frequently years ago, then got out of the habit and hadn't been for about 4 years, and I think it will be that long again before I return, just because there are many other better Thai places round town - like my new favourite Darjoh's or Royal Thai!

Friday night's meal was eaten in the company of 10 others, so we had a mixed entree platter each (which contained one each of the following: curry puff, spring roll, chicken satay and Thai fish cake), then Bec and I shared a Waterfall Salad (or Thai Beef Salad, or Num Tok) and Lemon Prawn Curry. Tonight we shared an entree serving of Thai Fish Cakes ($13 for 4) and Prawn Cakes ($13.50 for 6) as well as BBQ Octopus ($13.50), then mains of Waterfall Salad ($21) and Green Prawn Curry ($24.50).

It was all average. Tonight, without Friday nights huddle of many bodies to warm the atmosphere, I froze, and leapt up at the premature end of my meal so I could race out to the car to defrost, leaving Bec to get them to bag the rest so we could take it home! There's nothing worse than feeling physically uncomfortable when you're eating out - whether it's due to hard chairs, or coldness or hotness (sometimes called heat!).

Anyway - what bugged me was the difference in prices. Friday nights total for all 11 of us was $486. Tonight for just 2 of us, it was $98. What is that about? How come it was so expensive for just 2 of us? Bec was paying so I'm not complaining about having to pay, but it has me beat anyway.

So - Mai Ake - nice surroundings, wooden floors (= very noisy on busy nights; very cold on cold nights), nice floral arrangements round the restaurant, seemed to do a good trade in takeaway food tonight but very average service and food to my way of thinking.
Posted on by Rita
8 comments

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

486/11 = $44
98/2 = $49

Sounds pretty similar to me, and you had an extra entree?

I used to love Mai Ake, although I haven't been there to eat in for a while. I love getting their Pad Thai as a takeaway though, it's definitely my favourite version from the North Hobart thai choices!

Anonymous said...

Looks to me that you ordered too much food. It all adds up!
Is Vanidols still the best Asian in North Hobart?

P

Anonymous said...

I haven't been for years, Rita. Last time we got a huge takeawy meal and, like from the Asian Teahouse, it did us for two nights and was very good.
I have never had a great time at Vanidols though I've been about four times.

Anonymous said...

I got the same feeling, Rita.. Mai ake was my favourite for the past few years.. but I got so much dissapointments after recent visits..

I went there again on Monday, thought of give them another chance but... the curry puff was too much oil, fish cake was hard or probably over-cooked! Larb Kai was very bland. 5 of us around $200 with NO WINE! And we realised they have recently increased the price to at least $6 dollars more! But I see no improvement or reason to pay the extra! Ridiculous!

We visited Royal Thai last weekend! They are so much better for the same cost now. I left a comment at Rita's blog about Royal Thai 2 days ago! Just as said, they are far better than Mai ake.. Food was fabulous, service and atmosphere was excellent! We just cant wait to go back again!

I love vanidol's indonesian rendang! but havent been there for months too!

Anonymous said...

I still like Siam Garden, love their pad thai - also I think the girl who runs the front of house is an absolute gun!

Anonymous said...

What's happened in the space of about 4 months which is the last time I visited. If was fabulous then but I also visited last Monday evening and it was very ordinary and cold. Service just ok but not particularly friendly. From where I was sitting I could see a long row of kitchen staff - don't feel inclined to return in a hurry.

Anonymous said...

I used to work at Siam Garden and all the curry sauces are from a packet. I think that's why people like it, because it tastes the same as they cook at home.

Anonymous said...

Most Asian restaurants cook from packets, they invented convenience foods.