Thursday 5 March 2009

Gone AWOL


Looks can be deceptive, and so it was again today for Rita. I drive past Gone AWOL in Barrack Street most days and have never had the slightest inclination to pop in. But this morning, with a meeting scheduled there, what more could a girl do than check it out for the blog?

I have to say I was most impressed. This small café is decked out as you would expect a trendy little café to be decked out. It was warm inside there too, which was great, as I think winter arrived in Hobart today, and I was forced to put a jacket on for the first time this year.

We only had hot drinks but I’ve promised myself I will return soon for some lunch. I checked out the display fridge, and was captured by a Ploughmans Lunch sandwich containing roast beef, pickled onion, cheese etc. I need to have one of those – soon! Sounds delicious.

They did a roaring trade over the hour I was there, which also surprised me. Being next door to Collegiate, I have it on good authority that many teachers there do a coffee run each day, plus the senior students have been given permission to go there too, so I imagine just from the school they would have a thriving trade.

A few notable well-known’s were observed coffee-ing there by Rita as well, so all in all, it seems to be a quiet little achiever.

If you’re a person who likes to try new places (and I’m well aware AWOL has been going for ages now, but maybe there are a few more like me round who haven’t bothered stopping and going in), might I be so bold as to suggest you make the effort and lunch there one day?

Posted on by Rita
15 comments

15 comments:

Miles McClagan said...

You are a very inspirational blog for making me want to get off my butt and try new places to eat...

It's a vow of my year...

Anonymous said...

On the subject of new places, I noticed King of Lebanese in Moonah has closed down.
Driving past yesterday is a sign on the window "Opening Wednesday March 11 BIG DUDES CAFE".!
So is this new place catering for bigger people, bigger appetites?
Is it run by big dudes?
We will become a big dude if we eat there?
The mind boggles.
Sorry to see King close though. From all reports it was pretty good.

Anonymous said...

I have lunch at least once a week at AWOL. Nice place.

Anonymous said...

I use to regularly get my lunch at the Chicken Revolution (the tenants before the King of Lebanese place started there) Absolute melt in your mouth stuff, the free range Chicken was THE best take-away chicken I have ever tasted and I was actually quite sad when it closed down.

Ken said...

I love this place. The fact that your not forced to read posters or advertising products while you sip on a spicy hot chocolate makes it feel really cosy. Out of interest Rita, why hasn't it ever appealed to you from the outside?

Rita said...

Hi Ken, and welcome. It wasn't that it physically didn't appeal to me from the outside, so much as it looks like a small place so I assumed the fare there to be run-of-the-mill, and I observed often that parking outside (as you come up Barrack) is impossible, then you go round the corner into Davey St, and still it's impossible to park, so I gave up thinking of it as a food option.
Silly, I admit, especially after I had eventually got round to going there and found it to be a really interesting little place.
I'm never afraid to admit I was wrong, or stupid.

Anonymous said...

Will go and try it out this Friday, as they have live music during lunch!

lemon curd said...

Dropped in the other morning for the first time (forgot Pigeon Hole was closed on a Monday!). Love the interior, latte a bit hot and watery, and the egg & bacon panini was a bit...bulky? Too much panini - nice to have a choice of sauces and relishes to have it prepared with though. I'll head back, just choose differently!

Rita said...

Yum - egg and bacon pannini! That's my next brekky-on-the-run venue sorted! Thanks Lemon Curd!

rachel said...

maybe something else might be in the neighborhood? noticed an application for a change of use for a restaurant down the road at the florist, well at least i think it's the florist? only a brave person would open a restaurant now!

Ken said...

Isn't funny how things develope! Rachels comment was a year ago, and one year on I have found out that the resturant at the florist pulled out and gone AWOL is relocating there within the next month! I spoke to the owners and they said that they had to make a quick decision on signing a new lease with no more room to grow or to relocate! Nice problem to have, but I'm not suprised as I think that they do one of the best coffees in Hobart. It's always consistantly the same and their Barista, Dani, who has been there for the past year is one of the best in the business (Bit of a shock when she went to AWOL as she was in demand by alot of cafes etc). The owners are going to make the basement an artist run art space and an underground buisiness room will also be available! Sounds great! I know I'll be booking a room for my team with morning tea and coffees for the next monthly meeting!

Rita said...

Thanks for passing on that extremely interesting snippet of info for us, Ken. That's a very strategic move on behalf of AWOL. I noticed them in there today renovating the corner, former florist, shop, so that's obviously what's going on there.
I will watch developments there with great interest.

Anonymous said...

The AWOL gang took my request for a door bell seriously as I have trouble getting into AWOL. So they deliver my order to me in the street - always kind and friendly - Very good energy.

Ben Terry

Anonymous said...

I think you should check out AWOL at its new location, the cnr of Barrack and MacQuarrie. I was really impressed.

Anonymous said...

Best coffee ever!!