Sunday 25 March 2007

Gold Cinema

Had my induction at the Gold Cinema today. Once again I have to use that word "interesting" for the experience.

I knew it was going to be horrendously expensive to go to see a movie that I particularly wanted to see (again) and was only showing at the Gold Cinema, but.......

The prices are $32 for a day session, and $35 for an evening session, with it being $25 on Tuesdays.

Those prices are for the ticket ONLY, not a skerrick of food or drink! I feel that is extortionate - BUT - to give them their due, they have at least given the concept a try. They have put their necks on the chopping block, renovated the cinemas (3 of them, I think) and installed the comfy recliner seats, attached tables and call button to summon further assistance while you're lolly-lying there in the cimema watching the movie and feel like getting the waiter to bring another bottle of wine (to be popped into the inbuilt chiller on your table!).

They also provide special fluffy blankets for your convenience should you feel a bit sleepy or cold!

The dining-in menu is, as would be expected, quite limited but adequate. The wine list has enough to satisfy most people, I should think.

We didn't have alcohol, but with the tickets and food (Panini with Smoked Chicken - $12, and wedges with sour cream and sweet chilli sauce - $10, and 2 Iced Chocolates - $4.50 each) it was $95, and that's one hell of a lot of money for an outing to the movies.

If I had been planning to go to the movies plus have a meal out, I'd probably look on it as reasonable value, although the food quality was dubious but it being dark inside the cinema, who knows?

The seats are indeed very luxurious and comfortable. It doesn't hold many people - maybe 30-odd, and today, my daughter and I were the only ones there, so we were able to feel extremely special plus sing along with Hugh Grant* as loudly as we wanted to without having to worry about looking or sounding like dickheads!

Well, apart from emerging totally in love with Hugh, I'm glad I experienced it. Waynes service there was fabulous (he's Scottish and sweet and obliging as....go check him out girls!) but I'll save my next visit for a time when I want to impress someone with my savoir faire!

(*movie was "Music & Lyrics" with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore, one of your stereotypical chick flicks)
Posted on by Rita
4 comments

4 comments:

Whitey said...

$32???

You could buy 64 beta videos for that amount!!!

Rita said...

Oh Whitey, I KNOW! I already felt crap for having to spend that much! Now you've really rubbed it in!

Geez I hate being a total sucker!

Anonymous said...

at least you got yr comfy seats!

Rita said...

Small consolation, Mr Rock!