Thursday 22 March 2007

What's in your fridge?

Reading through The Gobblers list of 11 Most Inspirational Foodies the other day prompted me to think about them all, and their contributions to our world of food here in Tassie.

It also made me think about the vital products that I like to have on tap, constantly, as basics in my fridge, many of which have come from some of Gobblers named Top 11.

Things like Huon Valley mushrooms, Boks Bacon, free range eggs, Tassal atlantic salmon, Vermeys assorted meats and free range chicken, Jackman and McRoss bread, Wursthaus smoked chicken breast and drum sticks, vegies from Hill Street, chutneys and sauces from Hill Farm, marmalade from the CWA shop, apple juice from Lucaston. I am totally committed to those products. I get really pissed off if I can't get any of them when I go shopping.

Those are my most basic basics, without which I can't cook. They are to be found by anyone opening my fridge at any time.

From the above basics, along with the assistance of things from my dry larder, I can produce a meal of any ethnic variety. In fact, I have written myself a Cookbook, not of recipes but of ideas of directions I can go with any particular food item.

For instance, under the section entitled Chicken Breast, I have the following:
lasagna
thai chicken curry
pasta
stir fry
chinese
casserole
larb
thai chicken salad
pho
vietnamese rolls

You see I can go in any direction with just a chicken breast. That's what I love about our local products. Tasty, simple food can be made out of beautiful products.

We are so lucky we live here in the land of plenty, of great foodstuffs.
Posted on by Rita
7 comments

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a great idea Rita.
Its good to have a few options up your sleeve. When you get your chook or fish or whatever you are not limited & can really cook what you fancy.
We always have cooked pulses & legumes on hand, good parmesan(Not from Tassie!) Pickled onions(Blue Banner!)for those sangas & beleiev it or not roasted flour for making real gravy.

Unknown said...

I hate to differ, but some of the best Tassie produce leaves our shores before we even have a whiff of it being available.

But your list gives me hope! :)

Nellie said...

Gobbler, can you tell me how you do your gravy with roast flour?

Mum, we are @ the shack, as you know, and I want to get to either Ebb or banc for lunch with mr nellie tomorrow. Which do you recommend we try first?

Nellie

Anonymous said...

Nellie,
Get about 2 cups of plain flour & roast it in the oven on a very high temp. Be careful that it dosn't burn around the edges by whisking it gently. This alo helps it not to 'cake' togther. When a golden brown colour, let it cool before seiving thoroughly.

Once the roast has cooked & is resting. Pour all of the liquid & fat into a container.
Add a cupful of the roasted flour & pour the liquid on top whisking smooth. add more water at this stage as it will thicken when cooking. Bung in a good amount of salt & pepper & boil. It will reduce & start to thicken. Season to taste(We ofetn put horsradish into it or mustard, but some red wine is a nice addition also)
When ready it will have a shiny surface & the flouri-ness will have cooked out.
Tips: Dont let it stick! & If you whisk it smooth at the beginning it's easy to keep those dreaded lumps away!

Rita said...

That's simple Nellie - I don't think Banc is open for lunches, just dinners. I think they do coffees/cake in the day (not sure), so if that's the case, then Ebb looks like the go for you & Mr Nellie.

I look forward to your feedback.

Nina - you're right. Some of our best stuff does leave, as Gobbler has pointed out as well, but luckily there is enough left here for us inhabitants of the island to indulge too.

I'd love abalone, for instance, to be cheaper and more commonly available but have learned to live with the fact that I only get it when someone I know dives and gives me some. Then I pig out bigtime!

redcap said...

Wow, I'm really, really impressed. If I have eggs, onions, oregano, fresh capsciums and mushrooms, canned tomatoes and Jalna yoghurt within reach, I can cook. Lotsa stuff. But then I'm a bit of a lazy cook. Sorry :(

Rita said...

Don't be sorry Redcap. I'm impressed and envious!