Saturday 14 April 2007

Lotus Eaters

Just as I had about given up and forced myself to accept mediocrity as the norm in Hobart's casual eating scene, along comes the famous Lotus Eaters Cafe in Cygnet to blow me out of the H2O.

Introduced to the delights of this oasis of taste sensations by the lovely Sally and David, I pigged out on a Beef and Stout Pie with 3 salads ($14). It was truly wonderful. The pie pastry wasn't just the receptacle to hold in the filling. The beef was melt-in-your-mouth with not one bit of (the usually predictable) gristle or fat, and the gravy divine. The 3 salads were individually yummy as well, and not just plate fillers to accompany the pie. It came accompanied by a home made chutney but this was unnecessary as all the other flavours were enough. The chutney would have complicated it way too much.

So - it would appear GP and I are in alignment with this one, as his review in the Merc last month praised the place to high heaven.

Far be it for me to be GP's sycophant but today I am. I love the place. Will return many times and will highly recommend it to all who prize a bloody decent meal. It's well worth the drive to Cygnet. It's 2 doors along (towards the water) from Boks Butchery, so go get some Boks bacon and enjoy lunch one Saturday.
Posted on by Rita
6 comments

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

a

Anonymous said...

Me and the missus went down to Cygnet for lunch at Lotus eaters last week.

It was shut! It shuts Tues and Wed. Aaargh.

Red Velvet looked busy but we didn't fancy it after a frosty former encounter.
Ended up with fish punt fish and chips at Huonville, which were good, but not what we had set out for.
Ah well, we'll be back in Cygnet this week (not Tues or Wed).

Sir Grumpy.

Rita said...

Oh, Sir Grumpy. I'm SO sorry about that. I didn't even look, when I was there, to see what days it might or might not be open, but taking a punt would have guessed it would be closed maybe on a Mon or Tues, but not Tues or Wed.

What a shame. Was Divinge open, as that's the one I haven't yet caught up with, which others have been full of praise for in Cygnet?

I have toyed quite a few times with stopping at that fish & chip punt in H'ville but haven't yet.

Please tell us about it when you've made it to Lotus Eaters as I genuinely want to know what you thought.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Lotus Eaters review Rita. Went there for lunch last Thursday and it was excellent.
Told the young chap in charge that I had come on the recommendation from your blog site and gave him a copy of your review. He seemed very pleased.

Rita said...

Good one Pedro. Glad you went down there, and enjoyed it. What did you have to eat?

Anonymous said...

I had a beef and vegetable pie with salad and the missus had gnocchi. We shared of course. Both dishes were excellent. I should perhaps mention that the cafe was very busy and I don't think we would have got in without booking.