Thursday 12 April 2007

Tandoor Curry House & Anatolia

OK OK - this is Rita standing here like an old bag, hands on hips, shaking her head in disapproval.

Ate last night at Tandoor and tonight at Anatolia. I've eaten at both quite a few times before, and it's been OK. Not spectacular, but OK.

So - both again qualified for the OK ratings this week. Is that what they're aiming for?

I must have been hit with the Gobbler stick, because I'm now wanting to know why the hell can't they strive for a bit more than sheer damned OK, or predictable?

I just forked out $30 for a 2 course set menu (banquet - duh?) of very ordinary food in a restaurant with only 2 tables occupied. On a Thursday night in North Hobart, does that tell you something?

Do I sound a tad pee-ed off? Well yeah, I AM. The meal last week at Marque IV was underpriced at $99 per head, given the standard of food, and attention to detail lavished on everything from the surroundings to the service.

Tonights and last nights meals were the equivalent of camping in the hinterland in comparison. If you ask me how can I compare MIV to those 2, well, as a punter, I say, it's all fuel that goes down into my tummy. The point I was trying to make in my post the other day about the forethought I put into the preparation of my meals, whether it's cheese on toast, a roast or whatever, comes into play here.

If you care enough, whatever you cook should reflect that care. These 2 restaurant owners/chefs/cooks (whatever) quite patently don't, or didn't on the day (care enough).

I can be polite, nod and smile, pay the bill, leave the restaurant and not bother returning or telling anyone of my experience. Or I can vent here!
Posted on by Rita
3 comments

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Tanddor and Curry House used to be a favourite of ours, Rita.
Food was always okay, not world shattering, but we liked that cosy little side room to sit in.
What did you have from here and at the Anatolia?

Friends had a takeaway from Tandoor a while back when they had another couple in for a visit.
They spent a lot of money at Tandoor to save the hassle of cooking and were sorely disappointed by the meager portions and mediocre food.

They ended up getting late pizza from North Hobart because they were all still hungry.

Not good is it?

Well better go before I get called a windbag and parasite from someone else.

Sir Grumpy.

Anonymous said...

PS I find it impossible to get very good Indian food in Hobart, Rita.
My high hopes have been dashed often and the hole in the wallet is no fun either.
Sir Grumpy

Rita said...

Looks like it's just you & I out here in foodie blogland these days, eh Sir Grumpy?

No one else wants to chat or play with us!

Does that mean I have to get more forceful or aggressive in my attitude to generate some discussion?

Anyway - to go back to your question, at Tandoor, I had Butter Chicken (an old favourite I can never go past) and Garlic Naan.

At Anatolia, we had the 2 course "banquet" which comprised, firstly, a plate of 5 dips; then a platter (for 2) of 2 x lamb chops, 2 x felafel, 2 x chicken satays & a couple of other extras. I suppose you could basically describe it as a Lebanese Mixed Grill!

You're right about the lack of good Indian. I love Indian, but as with Chinese, find the restaurants are too busy trying to pass of shit meat and below-par ingredients so if I want to enjoy it and really fang in, must make it myself.