Sunday 7 October 2007

I hate to be boring, but.....Divinge again

Needed to do something down the Huon so lunched today at Divinge.

Yes, I KNOW I've raved before about it - but I have to rave again. If it was just a normal eating experience, I wouldn't bother.

But again the lovely Danie and Peter came up trumps, food-wise for us. Daughter number 4 and I lunched on Thai style Squid, and Bangers and Mash.

Daughter's squid presented SO well she was hesitant to eat it - but that only lasted for about 50 seconds! She's about as big a guts as her mother! She proclaimed it absolutely fantastic, and was amazed to find that Mum's credibility in regard to blog reviews actually might have some validity! Geez your kids can be cruel, cutting and judgemental at times! (Well, most of the time, really!).

My bangers and mash was sublime. The bangers, so both Danie and Peter explained, had been handmade by them on Friday using their own lamb. The mental picture of them actually physically making these works of art with the piping bag was most entertaining, both for us and their other customers.

But - Peter, let me tell you it was SO worth it! The mash was mash - what can you do wrong there? But the little extras they add to their dishes, like binding the 3 bangers with bacon, and serving it with your own super tasty tomato chutney are the things that make Divinge stand head and shoulders above many other establishments.

As daylight savings started today, my body clock was slightly askew, so I'd only breakfasted an hour or two before getting to Divinge, so couldn't finish up my meal, and asked if I could take it home. Peter was horrified to see my plate returned to the kitchen only 1/3 eaten. I hope he didn't take it too personally.

There's no way I could pay sufficient homage due to this meal.
If you haven't got your butts down to Cygnet for a Saturday or Sunday drive, incorporating lunch at Divinge - DO IT SOON!

You'll thank me - I promise.
Posted on by Rita
10 comments

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more! Had the squid a few weeks ago. Yummo. Bought a takeaway noodles with chicken - huge size for $9.00 - for my son to eat that night. OK, he's 19 and a human combustion engine, but he inhaled it.
The best part was the lovely couple and the great relationship they had with customers.
Kzee

Anonymous said...

I went there about a month ago and had a fantastic lunch it was an open steak sandwich with red onion marmalade....it was absolutely georgeous. Next time I'm taking a bottle of wine and my husband and we are going for dinner on a saturday night.

Anonymous said...

i have a small confession to make...I AM NOT a fan of the lotus eaters...im sorry to all who seem to be praising them to high heaven,....but ive been there twice now .. and recieved the attitude from hell...ive never been treated so rudely...I was told it was time for me to move as i had finished my coffe and cake and someone else was booked in for lunch...the time before that is was almost as bad....twice bitten never to return again!!!

Anonymous said...

forgot to add that i had carrot cake at divinge 2 weeks ago....was scrumptious!!and the owner was very nice and I wasnt asked to "move on"

Anonymous said...

That because divinge is MUCH quieter that the Lotus eaters!

Anonymous said...

Lotus Eaters was a disappointment for me too.
It's as if they are believing their own publicity and have forgotten the customer.
We were treated so casually (not in the nice, relaxed meaning of the word but with indifference).
I couldn't even manage to get a cup of tea and had people standing around the servery buying takeaways and making us feel crowded.
It's too small and I won't be going back.
Sir Grumpy
PS Will be going to Divinge now Rita!

Anonymous said...

It was LOVELY...my thai style squid was so yummi i didn't want it to end!!! the presentation was fab and the food even better, i simply cannot understand why there wasn't customers lined up out the door!! Both Peter and Danie were GREAT hosts! If I lived in cygnet...that is where you would find me.... drinking coffee and eating cake with two people who are very passionate about their food and their cafe! :)
Rita's 4th Daughter

Anonymous said...

I wonder why that last anon didnt put a name to themselves....I wonder how they know divinge is MUCH quieter than the lotus eaters....I wonder how they can see in to divinge to be able to tell that...hahaha thank you for extremely kind comments Rita and ritas 4th daughter and others...we havent had any $30days as another establishment in the cygnet area claimed to have but I can tell yo that we have been doing extremely well thanks to some very loyal regulars and lots of new local and not too locals...thanks for everyones support and keep on writing great comments all
Danie from Divinge

Anonymous said...

Good on you Danie,i sincerly admire you and your hubby,i have watched your business progress from day one,yep you and hubby out there building in the rain to producing fine fare,my hats off to you.A true regular!!

Anonymous said...

"rudenessdoesntwincustomers"....too true, with regard to 'Lotus Eaters' I'm afraid!

Great reviews are all very well - that's why we made the trip there after all - but, MY GOD!, serious attitude, you could've cut the atmosphere with a knife the day we visited, and EVERYBODY in the caf could feel it. Maybe because it's about as big as a phone box.

A shame, but I can't enjoy, let alone digest, the best food in the world properly when such a frosty vibe permeates. I can barely remember the meal to be honest, I just wanted out of there!

The woman who 'served' us nearly bit my Aunt's head off when she politely mentioned she ordered a latte NOT a cappuccino. I've honestly never seen such a performance. NEVER AGAIN!!!

I'll be trying Divinge next time - hopefully soon, sounds lovely...