Saturday 6 October 2007

The Observatory

...tonight was really disappointing. It seemed like it was all glitz and glamour, but no substance; no follow-through.

The food was, quite frankly, boring, tasteless, and something anyone could do. Two of us shared the International tasting platter, which was priced at $38.

It comprised 4 spring rolls; 3 fist-sized individual Beef Wellingtons; 3 potato, salmon & scallop stacks (held upright in the stack shape by a toothpick) and 3 small triangle meaty things. I can't think of anything about any of that food that I can say something positive about!

We were given teaspoons and an oyster/cocktail fork to eat the food with. My question to chef or staff - how the hell were we meant to tackle the Beef Wellington with a teaspoon and cocktail fork?

The platter presented beautifully when the waitperson set it down. What she SHOULD have done was take us through it, and explain what each item was. It is dark in there, and you really can't see what you're eating, so it would have been nice to be reminded exactly what it was we'd ordered. Also it would be really good customer service for her to spend a minute with us talking about the food!

I was starting to feel my age there (being the oldest in the room by about 50 years!!) but then a young chef we knew from a few years ago came across to chat and said the identical things about the food and platter which my friend and I had just agreed on! So having had our judgements validated by a 'youngun', I felt way better, and not so geriatric and past it.

The toilets also need soap. If you know anything about hygiene, you know soap is vital there.

The fitout has had a lot of thought and money devoted to it. The wine list and cocktail list is extensive and would surely please anyone who likes a drink or two. It is obviously a younger persons 'scene', but I'm glad I went there. Now I know what I'm not missing.

Average food, overpriced, too dark, clientele too young (for me), too obviously trying-to-be-trendy. I was getting sick of myself lately anyway with most of my recent posts being good reviews. One that was more negative was overdue!

I can see The Observatory getting huge crowds over the lead-up to Christmas with many drunken leftovers from work Christmas parties staggering in and spending up big on cocktails, buckets of expensive champers etc. It's right there in the heart of the docks, so ideally placed to do a roaring trade.

But I won't be amongst them.
Posted on by Rita
No comments

0 comments: