Friday 30 November 2007

1815 (ex Mummys Cafe)

Lunched today at 1815. I had been told by a few people that the food was great there, so thought I'd better pop in and check it out for myself.

It was OK although I have to admit I didn't go for too taxing a meal. Taking the proverbial trip down the proverbial memory lane, I opted for the Nachos, and really WAS tempted to order the doorstop toasties which the menu described as being there as a reminder/tribute to previous Mummys menus!

My favourites always used to be the banana, cheese and bacon toasted doorstops - but I resisted that particular urge today.

As is usually the case with Nachos, you got heaps of goodies piled on top, but it was a little sparse under the layers of corn chips. It didn't bother me too much anyway, as I just couldn't tackle the whole bowl full and ended up bringing most of it home for supper in a takeaway container. There was nothing wrong with it. Just my usual inability to eat what appeared to be half a carton of corn chips! (Apologies for the Aries exaggeration again). They came topped with a bean/tomato mix, along with avocado, cheese and sour cream.

From memory it was priced round $12, but the new owner Alistair very generously didn't charge me going rate following an interesting conversation, and me lending him (to photocopy) the old Visitors Book from Mummys circa 1988 - which includes the autographs and comments of many (now) upstanding members of the community from the days when they staggered into Mummys absolutely stoned or pissed out of their brains, requiring some kind of sustenance or TLC from whatever staff member was available to provide same!

Also for old times sake I had a banana smoothie. Different to the way I used to make it but fine all the same.

I hope they do well there, and judging from the people coming in and out, it looks like they are off to a good start.
Posted on by Rita
6 comments

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My God Rita, you're like some sort of Bordello Madame!
I'm sure there are plenty of very nervous people(blokes) who think your gunna do a Heidi Fleischman on them!
You really MUST spill your guts to a public that DESERVES TO KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT THSES SO-CALLED UPSTANDING CITIZENS!
I look forward to 'The Hobart Cronicles on the QT' by Rita Anon.

Rita said...

Gobbler - my life wouldn't be worth living if I spilled all! So, sorry, there will be no "Hobart Chronicles on the QT" by Rita Anon!
But I love the idea of being a Bordello Madame!

Anonymous said...

my fave doorstop was always the banana, bacon and cheese too. perfect for the munchies. Now we fry black bananas with our bacon and eggs, because of the Mummysmemory of baconbanana.

Rita said...

YAY Kitty! I wondered if you were still popping in occasionally to check on us!

I was hoping to catch up with you next week but looks like your visit to warmer climes might take preference! Still - Mr Bok will hopefully report back to you.

Glad we share the banana, cheese & bacon fetish. Maybe your sister-in-law or I served you these gastronomic delights at some stage?

Anyway - hope you're travelling well. We miss your presence in the world of Hobart food blogging.

Anonymous said...

I have been to 1815 a few times for just a dessert and a cup of tea or just a glass of wine. Really liked the fact that there is , essentially, a late night cafe-type place we can go which is quiet and relaxed, and just have a late evening drink. Hobart needs more of them.

Jazzy x said...

Well, well , well... Mummys sure did change over the years. My mother worked there (with Rita) and my earliest memories of the cafe were the smoothies (definately a winner in a 5 year olds books back then), the GREAT door stopper sandwiches, and DECENT real fruit juices- at the time, homemade by mum! Does anybody remember Mandie working there? I remember seeing a well known Hobart guy by the name of Greg whom is often hanging around in city cafes. Mummys was indeed the place to bring your guitar and play a tune for your latte. The big box seats where you kept the pineapple and tinned others, lol, having to occasionally ask patrons to move to get some pineapple! I did my fair share of washing up in that joint, and Ant would share his tips with me. The atmosphere certainly isnt there as it was. Shame really. More cafes needed with the laid back, easy going vibe. Nice write up Rita x