Sunday 9 December 2007

Snippets

Was in the area the other night, so decided to grab a quick dinner at one of my faves, Peppermint Bay.

Selected the Scallop and Salmon Pie at $23. It came in my preferred pie fashion, ie encased in pastry, as opposed to one of those jobbies in the little ramiken with the pastry on top, which I was most happy with.

Served on a large plate, surrounded by mashed potato, and, I think, a dill/white sauce, it was a filling meal. There were two scallops and a smallish bit of yummy salmon in a white sauce - enough filling for a pie - but pretty steeply priced at the $23 in my humble opinion.

My enjoyment level, on a scale of 1 - 5, with 5 being amazingly fantastic, probably would have been a 3. The service was happy (my highest criteria!), efficient and friendly.

It was a beautiful afternoon in that area, and what better way to sit back, enjoy the scenery and mull over the day than on the deck at Peppermint Bay?

And.......apropos of absolutely nothing, I received the following snippet of information at work on Friday, and thought I'd share it with you.

You must all be aware of the huge money being paid to people working in the mine areas in West Australia. Well, as a result of that, there is also automatically a huge scarcity of accomodation in these areas. One 'grey nomad' ( you know them? - the retirees who decide to travel in their campervans etc round the country) travelled to Kalgoorlie recently, was offered $1250 per week for the lease of his motor home, so has accepted this, left the motor home in Kalgoorlie and flown back home to Sydney in order to transport his (spare) caravan which had been languishing under the trees out back of his house, and intends leaving the caravan in Kalgoorlie as well, thus reaping himself $2500 income per week!

If only I had a spare caravan....!!
Posted on by Rita
2 comments

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two scallops & a bit of salmon for $23-Are they kidding?

Rita said...

Hmmmmm! Agreed - the pie, even tho delicious, I felt was a tad overpriced!