Saturday 8 March 2008

Roving Rita in Adelaide, and Hobart


Rita has just returned from a few days in Adelaide - and this morning on the way to the airport, felt obligated to pop into Ikea, boost Mr Ikea's profits by a few hundred dollars and add some kitchen accroutrements to her renovated kitchen!

And if you look carefully at the above photo, you'll see they also do FOOD there now!

I love Ikea - why can't we have one here?

Anyway - the plane managed (just) to take off with the additional weight in Rita's bags, so it's all good.

Back to Hobart Food for Thought, and some new eating out experiences. I have in my sights the following places to visit over the next few months, in no particular order:

Meadowbank
Home Hill
Scorchers
Smith St Store
Split Adriatic
Persian place in Bathurst St
Fritto Misto
Cafe Soho
Mures Upper Deck
Monty's
Chrome
Juiced
Cafe Toulouse
Collins St dumpling place

Watch this space.........
Posted by Picasa
Posted on by Rita
8 comments

8 comments:

Lonie Polony said...

Ooh, Mures Upper Deck Dahling. Haven't been since dear old Dad dropped over $1000 there several years ago on an after party. Hope it's as good as it was then :)

Anonymous said...

Come on Rita, Where did you eat in Adelaide? You better have some good stories and goss!

Rita said...

Hi Lonie - glad you're still in bloggingland. Cursed that I hadn't sought your eating advice before I went to Adelaide. I've heard mixed feedback about Mures lately so am interested to see how it stacks up these days.
HRV - I didn't really do too much eating out in Adelaide, I'm afraid. On Thursday when I arrived, it was such a horrendous difference in temperatures from Hobart (to go from rising from hot-water-bottle-heated bed in the morning to a city with a temperature of 38 degrees in a day was too much for me!) I lost all desire to boldly go where no man has gone, and explore the gastronomic potential of Adelaide - and instead languished in my hotel room, panting and thinking "WTF" to myself!
As I was staying in Glenelg, I managed to stagger out into the evening heat on Friday night (39 degrees!!) and score some beautiful Thai food (stir fried prawns) at the Grand, in their Rickshaw restaurant.

I ate ordinary in-house for breakfasts, and the meeting I attended all day Friday was catered, with very average food being provided. A disappointing trip, from the food perspective, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

what and where is split adriatic?

Rita said...

Split Adriatic, I believe, is on the left hand side of the road (travelling out towards Glenorchy) in the main block at Moonah on Main Road. Someone said it's next to the sex shop. I've heard from two sources that this is a good cafe, and intend checking it out for myself.

Tassiegal said...

Its actually one over from the sex shop, and one up from the corner.

Anonymous said...

Pity Rita. You will have to find time to get back over there for a real holiday and some serious chow time. I've heard their central market could be closing - go before it does

Anonymous said...

Hi Rita
I am actually posting this from Adelaide! We could have met for coffee somewhere and talked Tassie food.... Despite the heat I have really been enjoying eating here and have done a tour of Malaysian restaurants (OK, two were more hawkers food court type places) but they were all CHEAP. Why don't we have this quality of food at these prices in Hobart? Might it have something to do with the amount of competition around? You just have to stroll down Gouger St and see the number of people out and about - and they seem to be locals, not arty festival-visiting types like me. And the Central Market might be closing? Nooooooooo......