Saturday 28 June 2008

Calorie-counters anonymous?

I thought instantly of Sir Grumpy tonight while watching the ABC news. One of the news items involved a story about the Prime Minister possibly bringing to the obesity table the issue of all restaurants having to itemize the calories contained in every menu item, such as they apparently now have in New York.

The two quotes from restaurant personages in Sydney were in agreement that it most definitely was not the way for Australia to go.

Once again I see people’s responsibility for themselves being eroded. OK, I can see that with the nation rapidly turning into a nation of Goodyear blimps a good idea might be to address the fact that a lot of the related fatty-issues lead us straight to the queues in hospitals, but surely restaurants shouldn’t have to have to lead the way to redemption?

If most eater-outers today don’t worry too much about their calorie intake, do we have to foist it right in front of their (hungry) eyes on a menu? The ones who ARE currently concerned with their calorific intake already plan their menu selection according to their dietary constraints.

I for one don’t want to see the calorific percentages on my restaurant menu. I eat out to enjoy my food, not analyse the kilojoules in it.

If I were on a diet, I’d already know what calories were in whatever I ate, roughly. I wouldn’t select the fried food, or creamy food. I’d probably steer my tastes away from the pasta and potatoes too. I’d probably find myself staggering out of a restaurant having consumed half a lettuce, a tomato and six slices of cucumber! I might well feel satisfied, but I doubt it!
Posted on by Rita
11 comments

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very scary stuff. I wonder if Big Brother Kev has actually stopped to think about the Cancer rates in the nation. Will we soon be listing all the nasty carcenagenic chemicals that foods are laced with? If he wants restaurants to do this then he will have a big fight on his hands. The cost will be considerable so hello tax breaks or compensation. How about GM labelling Kev? I'm petrified of putting Frankenfood in my mouth but if I overindulge in a restaurant at least I can go for a run.

Has Kev ever had a day of fun in his miserable life? Possible when he ate too much, binge drank and ended up in that strip joint. Do as I say not as I do hey Kev.

Anonymous said...

HRV I,m with you on this one. Binge drinking at three drinks, do me a favour, or is this because they are 80 bucks a pop in a strip club Kevin. Its what happens when you elect an ass licking boy scout.
Look I cook for taste, not your bloody waistline, I cook for the gluten intolerant etc, but if I have to get my chart out everytime I cook then I am going to call it restaurant death and happiness.
Its about time we accepted mortality and started enjoying the now.
As someone once said, I'm not here for a long time and I accept that, but make my life worth living and full of joy in the time I have.


Cartouche

Anonymous said...

Lets take it a step further. Perhaps all menus should include warning signs & photos of super obese people in a similar way that ciggys do?
Rita, your're right about this as another example of our dwindling personal responsibilities.
If this idea is seriously going to take effect, surely its the fast food restaurants that will be leaned on more?
Finally maybe just maybe, this was all a ploy to just to get us consumers to 'panic-buy' before this absurd idea takes effect, thus injecting zillions into the restaurant industry? Look what the alcapop tax did to full stregnth grog, sales skyrocketed!

Anonymous said...

You cheffie types are all the same. As a savvy consumer, I expect to know if the fois gras is the low fat variety.

Anonymous said...

Are you taking the piss, Kitty!
I hope you not that same savvy punter who orders the greaseburger, the fries, the ice cream sundae then aks for a small diet coke!

Rita said...

As if Kitty would order a greaseburger, fries and ice cream sundae! She's a FIT Kitty who LOVES her fois gras!
Glad all you boys are with me here though - no we do NOT need to see the calories on our menus thanks Kev!

Susannah said...

Listing calories is just a bit over the top!!!

I am pleased to note that Cartouche will prepare food for "gluten intolerant, etc". People with particular dietary needs should be able to be accommodated (preferably with a call to the restaurant beforehand, to give the chef a chance to meet the challenge with style). I also think that a restaurant that has a vegetarian option as a matter of course is showing a greater understanding of the diversity of diners.

It doesn't hurt for a restaurant to have, as a matter of course, a low fat/heart smart option such as grilled fish or the like (or is prepared to leave a sauce off something).

These are all things that make me select one restaurant over another when dining with vegetarian friends, or friends who have particular dietary/health issues. This is why I like to be able to see a menu beforehand, (or read one of Rita's excellent reviews!).

But should a restaurant HAVE to to any of these? Of course not!

Anonymous said...

Maybe the new listing-calorie menus could be called Glutton Intolerant Menus.
Look I'm intolerant of everything, not just gluten. It's very trendy to be gluten intolerant these days. And if you dine with people who have dietary/health issues, shouldn't the restaurant have a whole medical team, including surgeon, on the premises. Can't be too careful.

PS RITA, why did this subject bring my personage to mind?!!?

Rita said...

Sir G - because you have been quite vocal of late on both mine and Gobblers blogs about your disdain of diets, fitness, fatness etc!

Anonymous said...

Well, when your svelte like me you can afford to cock a snoot (!) at all that dieting business.

Anonymous said...

I think it's disgraceful that you blimps seem to have no restraint whatsoever in eating those disgusting calorie filled and artery blocking poisons. Let me assure you that you will all pay one day! And what a terrible example to set for the upcoming generation! Shame on you all!!!