Saturday 9 August 2008

Hello to the Kettering Hotel

I notice with great interest, in The Mercury this morning, that the Kettering Hotel (formerly known as Oyster Cove Inn) under its new ownership, "has had the kitchen and restaurant revamped, modernised and upgraded and are ready to reopen" (after they find a chef and kitchenhand, of course).

How wonderful. Like the Botannical Gardens Restaurant which I wrote about earlier this week, I find the Oyster Cove Inn another of those absolutely stunning venues with so much potential, just sitting back ticking along in mediocrity, awaiting the (Midas) touch of someone with the passion, expertise and money to actually capitalise on the potential of the place.

Have you ever sat in the dining room at OC Inn and looked out at that view over the Marina and Ferry Terminal? It is just breathtaking. I'm really looking forward to checking out this revamped edition of an old classic.
Posted on by Rita
8 comments

8 comments:

ut si said...

I think I was there in the early 80's...it was kind of a posh then. Probably ordered the seafood basket & drank Houghton's white burgundy. (Hmmm, some things are best left forgotten!) I think they are very brave to reno a kitchen without a chef. Gorgeous setting.

Anonymous said...

Ye Ut si, we were there about then.
Fish was always good...I can remember one sunny day having fish with little pinkeye potatoes smothered in butter and parsley, with some salad. Me and the missus had some white (more likely a Wolf Blass...it was good then).
We sat near a big woodheater and it was great...a real stick-in-the mind outing. Oh for those days again.

rockoyster said...

I think you'll find it's still called the Oyster Cove Inn. That's what the signs on the highway say.

Went there for dinner shortly after they re-opened the restaurant. Prices especially the wine were pretty reasonable and the food fresh and well prepared.

They still weren't fully organised but the staff were super friendly and efficient.

I have emailed the owner and suggested he sends you an update on their plans Rita.

Rita said...

Thanks for that RO. From memory, I think I got that bit of info about the name change from a Mercury public notice, so assume the owners haven't as yet had time to attend to altering their signs for OC Inn or Kettering pub, or whatever it's currently called. It would be good to hear from the owner. I'd be pleased to add whatever info he wants to give me to the blog and/or web site.

rockoyster said...

I should have said "the newly erected signs" on th highway.

Keep an eye on www.oystercoveinn.com.

Rita said...

Hey RO - are you doing their web site too?

rockoyster said...

Alas no . . . . I think the guy who did the Oyster Cove Marina site is doing it.
The Pub and marina owners have some sort of business deal going on.

Rita said...

RO - when the new owner bought the OC Inn, the property sale included part of the marina, and I was told a few months back that his initial renovations were going to be amendments or additions to the marina property first, then he would start work on the pub, which, I believe is how it happened. So - I would guess that same owner/same website?
I know that when Greg owned the pub (many months ago), he put that giant boulder on the road access between the pub and the marina. It was his road and access, and so he decided to block it off. Hence the use of the Ferry Rd access to the marina, which had been previously unusable.